The engine rebuild is now complete. The paint arrived yesterday. Not only is Northern Ireland trapped in a time 300 years ago but so is its postal service.
This is how the engine looked after I prised it off the lawnmower; gummed up, rusty and peeling paint .
In all, I spent about £5 on the rebuild. That is considering the fractions of the paints I bought and only using one of the set of new gaskets. The new spark plug and ignition cable cost £2. I found a few bits in my pile of obtainium to rebuild the governor. The rest was cleaned, rust treated, polished and repainted.
The recoil starter still has some old red paint on it, which needs to be removed.
Now, onto the proof of the pudding. The engine started but there was a terrible clunking noise coming from it. I suspect there is a problem with the flywheel. It is painted and when I take the cowling off I will see if any paint has been rubbed off.
After sorting out the teething problems, the next steps are to connect the engine to an alternator to produce electrical power and to convert the engine to butane/propane fuel. After that I want to run the engine on wood gas for next to nothing, sustainable running costs, save for engine oil.